Five-metre lamp posts, tennis rackets and other strange items found in Malvern park's lower pond...... - The Malvern Observer
Online Editions

17th Aug, 2022

Five-metre lamp posts, tennis rackets and other strange items found in Malvern park's lower pond......

WORK being carried out on Priory Park’s lower pond in Malvern has unearthed some weird items, including part of a house, two five-metre lamp posts and a skateboard.

The pond, which hasn’t been cleaned in 30 years, is currently undergoing enhancement and repair works as part of the council’s Five Year Plan priority to improve the popular Great Malvern park.

Other items included one section of gutter, a chair, five traffic cones, a road sign, a wall-mounted cigarette bin, two tennis rackets, a frisbee, two banners, mobile phones and litter – glass, plastic bottles, cans and crisp packets.

The house found in the pond was originally located at the Rose Bank Gardens and was left to the council by Dyson Perrins. It was used as an art studio until it fell into disrepair and was knocked down in the 1950s.

As well as this, 310 lorry-loads of silt has been removed from the lower pond. This will enable the pond to start capturing carbon again and provide the right environment for plants to grow.

The next stage is to incorporate new wildlife habitats and log piles around the pond for aquatic invertebrates and insects. Shrubs and woodland bulbs will also be planted, along with the installation of gabion baskets to create planting shelves.

Coun Peter Whatley, Malvern Hills District Council’s Portfolio Holder for Resources, said: “We always knew there would be some interesting finds when we started the much-needed desilting works on the lower pond and we weren’t disappointed.

“It has been great to see the work progress on the pond which will improve the water quality and make it more suitable for wetland wildlife to thrive.”

Works will continue on the lower pond until early May.

The project has received funding of £102,716.37 from the European Regional Development Fund, awarded by Natural Networks. This makes up 45 per cent of the project cost, with Malvern Hills District Council providing the remaining 55 per cent.

Visit malvernhills.gov.uk/priorypark to keep up to date with the improvements to Priory Park.

Recruitment

Find a career you'll love with our free career finder website.

Public Notices

View and download all of the public notices in the Malvern Observer.

Buy Photos

Buy photos online from the Malvern Observer newspaper.

Printing

We can provide all of your printing needs at competitive rates.