MALVERN Hills District Council has forced developer Persimmon Homes to stop work after it breached planning permission conditions.
An enforcement notice and temporary stop notice was served at the former QinetiQ site off St Andrews Road.
The development, for 310 homes, was granted planning permission on September 6 last year.
The council had approved a number of conditions before work could take place which allowed the developer to carry out site clearance and demolition works, which started earlier this year.
However, the council became aware that building works had progressed beyond this stage.
The authority said construction work had been carried out in breach of a number of planning conditions covering a range of technical and environmental matters.
The notices require any work on the land (excluding site clearance and demolition) to stop immediately.
Work can only begin again once certain conditions of the planning permission have been approved in writing by Malvern Hills District Council.
Tree protection measures also need to be put in place.
Since the notices were issued, work on the site has stopped and Persimmon Homes is in discussion with the council to resolve the situation.
Coun David Harrison, Portfolio Holder for Planning, Infrastructure and Flooding at Malvern Hills District Council, said: “The district council takes all breaches of planning control very seriously especially breaches of planning conditions.
“It is not acceptable for a well established housebuilder or indeed any other developer- that should be aware of planning procedures and understand the importance of planning conditions- to carry out a development before conditions have properly been met.”
He added he hoped it sent out a strong message to all developers operating in the district that the council would not hesitate to take formal action where it was in the public interest to do so.