A SPECIALIST fire team had to be called out to make sure a chimney did not collapse after a woodburner fire got out of control.
The occupiers of the 500-year-old home in Castlemorton, called the fire brigade at 9.28am today (Thursday).
A crew from Upton and another from Malvern arrived at the property and discovered the flames in the main beam of the chimney.
The householders were evacuated and firefighters had to cut away part of the beam in order to put out the blaze.
A crew from Droitwich was also called in to make sure the structure was safe and the chimney did not collapse.
Firefighters left the premises around 12.30pm and were due to return at 4.30pm for a reinspection of the home.
A spokeswoman from Hereford and Worcester Fire and Rescue Service said because the property was built in the 15th century, the amount of wood in the structure and general wear and tear had contributed to the incident.
In December, station commander Alan Haley said: “We do tend to see an increase in the number of chimney fires during the winter period and we would like to remind people just what they can do to protect their properties.”
He reminded anyone with a real fire or a woodburning stove to ensure they have their chimneys swept on a regular basis and that they burn only the fuel recommended for their particular type of fire.
A list of approved chimney sweeps operating in the area and further chimney fire safety advice is available at www.hwfire.org.uk on the home safety pages.